Pages

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

starting the week out with a bang

Yesterday the Little Miss fell down the concrete stairs in our garage and hit her head. She got a huge dark purple goose egg with red spots on her forehead and some scrapes on her nose and under her eye.

My first thought (after 'why wasn't I there, I wish I could take the pain away, boy that looks bad, don't cry...') was to put a clay pack on the bruise. Bentonite clay helps heal wounds faster by drawing blood to the area, reducing swelling and pain, drawing out the heat, etc. You can read more about it here (that is the brand I use). I highly recommend you add some to your first aid kits, it works wonders with just about anything health-wise. We mixed the clay with water to make a paste and put it over the bruise, covered it with plastic wrap to keep it moist (you don't want it to dry out), and held it in place with one of her headbands.


I told her the clay was medicine to help her get better so she didn't try to pull it off. It helped immediately because she stopped crying and never said it hurt after the clay was on.


So we watched her favorite Noodlebug video...


...and she hugged her lion and rested with Daddy...


...with her fashionably bandaged head...


...and not too much later she felt good enough to ditch the pacifier and play some video games.


We even got a smile.

We put her to bed last night (after making sure her eyes weren't dilated and she wasn't lethargic) with the clay pack on overnight and this morning it looks so much better! It's very light, not swelled at all, and smaller than yesterday - it looks like it has already been healing for a few days at least. The little scrape on her nose where I didn't put clay looks worse than the huge goose egg. I was going to show you a picture but my camera battery died just now. I am just so happy with the results that I wanted to share with you what an amazing job the clay does! As a mother it was so nice to know there was something I could do that I knew would help.

If you have any questions about clay leave a comment and I'll answer in the comments section so everyone can see.

3 comments:

  1. Oh what a cutie! Thanks for the heads up on the magic boo-boo zappin' clay. I'm going out to get some tonight.

    And--hey--thanks for stopping by our bloggie, ModernKiddo.com.

    We love love LOVE yer vintage kiddo goodies and have featured them in the past and will continue to do so in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that the clay you got for Sandy?? I want some of it way bad. Where do you get it? Poor Avery! I hope she's completely better now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather - Yes its the same clay, you can find it at most health food stores.

    ReplyDelete