Pages

Monday, January 30, 2012

first haircut


LM gave herself a haircut, her first one ever, in fact. I guess that's what I get for trimming my own bangs. Listen to your stylist, never trim your own bangs!! Your child will watch you and ask to cut their hair too, which of course you will strictly forbid, and then one day you will find them being 'too quiet' in the bathroom snipping away at their ringlets... Oh three-and-a-half, why do you have to test my patience and make my daughter's hair look bad!

(It's actually not a total hack job, thank goodness)

Lately, I have found myself more frequently than ever using words like consequences, privileges (as in lost ones), polite/impolite, obedient/disobedient, one...two...three... and you guessed it - time out. Parenting this age is not easy. It is all sorts of teaching, and stretching, and learning, and deep breathes for the both of us. But what I am grateful for, among all the smiles and the tears, is as she is growing, so am I. At least I hope so. And I try to remember that as I am chasing her down to get dressed so we won't be late. Or pleading with her to sit in her car seat so we can get home and put a tired Lark down for a nap. Growing. Learning. Everyday. The both of us, just in different ways.

More importantly, I've also found myself frequently saying words like sorry, I love you, good job, hugs, and YES. Most of the time she's not so bad, this three-and-a-half-year-old. And I feel pretty lucky to be her mama at the end of every good and bad hair-day.

Also, who am I kidding, I am going to trim my own bangs again. In secret, with the door shut.

8 comments:

  1. It's sort of inevitable. I was grateful my 2-yr-old held her hair up in front of her face to cut it (instead of using the mirror). That way she didn't get anywhere near the scalp! Those are the worst!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this made me laugh. i've heard three is harder than two. i'm sure one day you will re-read this post and will be so wistful at this time, but it's never like that in the moment.. she is such a cute little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel your pain. In my case it was the five year old that cut her own hair last month (thankfully post birthday and christmas photos). She was growing out her bangs but apparently got tired of them so chopped them and then some... In the end her new do (yes, complete with very short bangs) with layers (since she took quite a bit off the sides too) looks really cute. I guess when they are too quiet it's never a good thing!

    But I also completely agree with three being a trying age. My second is three and she is much more outgoing and adventurous than the oldest and is definitely giving me a run for my money. But alas, is so wonderful when she isn't hungry or tired!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My 3 year old pulled the same thing a couple weeks ago while I was sick! I was resting and she came up to me with a handful of hair and said "Mommy look, I bad mine hair!" Let's just say, it's a nice short bob now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mine is three and a half too, but we haven't had a self haircut yet (phew!). I find myself saying a lot of the same things, though - she definitely tests me these days, but she's so fun too. They are such little smarties and they're starting to really GET life I think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, my Avery (only 2 1/2 now), is getting more and more fun, but more and more frustrating as well! I have a feeling three is going to be a trying year for her and me! But I'm crossing my fingers, because four was absolutely wonderful for both my boys!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no...I can't believe she did that!! This can be such a trying age, can't it? I always say to my boys, good thing you're so cute.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a three and a half year old as well and trying they can be :) but I love your attitude - really important that they learn that sorry and yes are words mommy uses too!

    ReplyDelete